Families.... Escape on a Norwegian Cruise!
Part of Freestyle Cruising is making sure everyone in the family has a great time. NCL's complimentary kids and teens programs deliver fun, day and night. They're sure to make lots of new friends on board, including NCL's well-trained youth staff.
NCL's Kids Programs are broken down by age categories as follows:
Juniors (Cruisers age 2-5)
Developmental activities, storytelling, arts and crafts, games, a treasure hunt and family activities.
First Mates (Cruisers age 6-9)
Pizza-making party, Wii, classes, crafts, parties, games and family activities.
Navigators (Cruisers age 10-12)
Wii, sports activities, arts and crafts, a scavenger hunt, team-building challenges and family activities.
Teens (Cruisers ages 13-17)
Teen dance club, Wii, movies, parties, a special teen dinner and team-building challenges.
All Youth Programs (Ages 2 - 12)
Hours of Operation
||8:00 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.
||9:00 A.M. to 10:30 P.M.
||Departure from Port to 10:30 P.M.
*Hours may vary per ship/itinerary
FreeStyle Free Play - NEW
As part of the Youth Kid's Crew Program, NCL offers "FreeStyle Free Play" for all age groups to socialize and play together. The designated time slots are the first hour of Kid's Crew, two hours in the afternoon, and the last half hour of Kid's Crew. If Kid's Crew experiences high kid counts, the 2-4 year olds will be entertained with other fun programming. Please feel free to contact the Youth Program Supervisor on board with any questions. Times may vary slightly per ship and itinerary.
General Information - Before the good times begin
- The Youth Facilities are an Adult Free Zone during Port Play, Kid's Crew Program and Late Night Fun Zone hours.
- When Freestyle Free Play is not in session, your child will be assigned to an appropriate NCL age group based on his/her age at sailing. If they have a birthday during the sailing, only then they are moved up. The minimum age is 2 years old at the time of sailing. Sorry, no exceptions can be made-this helps keep your child safe.
- A parent or guardian is required to register kids ages 2-17. After registering, kids can participate as often as they choose.
- Once registered by a parent or guardian, only the authorized adults over 21 may sign kids ages 2-12* in and out of Kid's Crew. The authorized adult, over 21, must be listed on the Registration Form. Please have a photo ID ready for drop off or pick up.
- *Kids 10-12 can be authorized by their parents to sign themselves in and out of program after 2 hours of active participation in the program. If authorization is not granted, only a designated adult over 21 may sign the 10-12 year old in and out of the program. The designated adult, over 21, must be listed on the Registration Form. Please have a photo ID ready for drop off or pick up.
- We're flexible. Our activities and programs are subject to change to accommodate the group's needs.
- Sorry, we are not able to have one-on-one care within our Youth Programs.
- Leave the flip-flops and sandals in your stateroom-we play hard and require proper footwear.
- We are not able to change diapers or pull-ups, but we leave you with a beeper or handy phone to alert you to do the duty. Beepers and handy phones do not work ashore, so at least one parent will have to stay onboard when their children are in our Youth Program.
- If your child is not feeling well, you will need to seek medical attention before coming to the program. Once cleared by the doctor, your child is allowed to re-join the activities.
- Please let us know if your child has allergies and/or is taking any medications by noting this on the Registration Form. We like to have snacks, therefore; we will need to know.
- Great family fun is offered throughout the cruise. Activities are subject to change per ship/itinerary but may include Family Movie Night, Family Scavenger Hunt, and Family LEGO Hour. Please remember, a parent is required to attend with a child to participate.
Youth Program Discipline Policy
Applies to Youth Programs, Port Play, & Late Night Fun Zone
Your children are important to us. We want your kids to have as much fun and be as safe as possible. Here is our four-step Discipline Policy to ensure this happens.
- STEP 1: Warning: The Youth Counselor addresses the child and it is explained that his/her behavior is unacceptable and needs to be improved immediately.
- STEP 2: Time out: If the child continues to disobey the Youth Counselor, a time out is issued and the parents are notified at pick-up time.
- STEP 3: Suspension: If a time out is not effective in eliminating the inappropriate behavior, the parents are located and the child is grounded from the program for 24 hours. The child is then welcomed back, but if there is any reservation on the part of the Youth Counselor a parent may be required to attend with their child.
- STEP 4: Dismissal: Once the child is allowed back into the program after the initial dismissal, if any disobedient behaviors continue, the child will no longer be allowed to participate.
In regards to 2-5 year olds, after 15 minutes of continuous crying, the parent will be called to pick-up their child as we are not able to have one-on-one care within our Youth Programs.
Kid's Crew Safety and Emergency Information
Relax-it's your job to have fun and our job to keep your kids happy and safe. Every child in Kid's Crew receives a Kid's Crew bracelet with their name, stateroom number, emergency station, allergies, and medications listed. If an emergency does occur, our Youth Staff is responsible for the mustering of the child in their care and bringing them to safety at the Child Muster Station. There, you can claim your child. All unclaimed children will be taken to the secondary station and distributed to their assigned lifeboat stations.
Teen's Center (Ages 13 - 17)
The Teen Center is a space designed for teen guests who seek a place to hang out and meet fellow teens. The Center offers air hockey, foosball, video jukebox, televisions, and Wii games. Activities and games vary per ship. The Teen Center is also the primary meeting location for the Teen's Crew.
Teen's Crew (Ages 13-17)
Break some ice here! Our Teen Program is a great way for teens to meet each other while engaging in some cruising fun. Our programs are designed around the interest of our teens and are supervised by a member of our Youth Staff. Enjoy theme parties, sports events, dining together or taking in a show as a group.
- Activities are flexible and subject to change based on participants.
- Activities will be rescheduled (when possible) if there is no participation after the first 15 minutes of the scheduled activity. Teens will meet at the next scheduled activity.
- Teens not feeling well need to visit the medical center before being admitted to the program.
- Parents or guardians must alert the Youth Staff of any allergies, medications or special needs of their teen when registering.
- All Teens are responsible for any personal items brought to activities and events.
- NCL strongly encourages that no teenagers go ashore alone in the ports of call.
- If you have any questions, please see the Youth Program Supervisor.
Teens Crew Discipline Policy
- Teens are responsible for reporting to their assigned emergency stations in the event of a ship emergency. Crew members throughout the vessel are trained to assist those in need.
- Teens participating in our programs are prohibited from smoking, drinking alcohol, and using profanity.
- Violence and vandalism will not be tolerated.
- Teens exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be asked to stop immediately. If they do not stop, they will be dismissed from the activity.
- After dismissal, parents and the ship's security will be notified.
- All crew members are instructed to report inappropiate behavior to Ship Security.
- Teens should be advised that all public areas are under 24-hour surveillance.
The group-sitting services take place in the Kid's Crew Facilities and are manned by the Youth Staff. All the requirements and procedures noted above apply. As a courtesy, we ask that you sign up by 8pm the evening prior to the desired "Port Play/Late Night Fun Zone".
In Port Hours
Arrival in Port to Departure from Port
Overnight in Port Hours*
Arrival in Port to 8:00 P.M.
*Times vary per ship/itinerary
Please contact the Youth Program Supervisor onboard if you have an early excursion and need Port Play services.
Late Night Fun Zone
10:30 P.M. to 1:30 A.M.
As a reminder, if your child requires you to keep a beeper, a parent or guardian must remain onboard the vessel during either group-sitting, as our beepers and handy phones do not work off the ship.
No private or in-stateroom babysitting is available on any NCL vessel.
Our Youth Staff is waiting for you to sign up! We know your kids will have a blast!
About the Youth Staff:
The youth staff is carefully selected from university education and recreational programs. Each staff member is an expert in providing fun, engaging activities for every age group, and all are certified in CPR and first aid.
Family Friendly Features
Our fleet is full of fun. Just-for-kids splash pools are on Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, Pride of America, Norwegian Star and Norwegian Spirit. Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Spirit and Norwegian Star also offer water play areas with slides and water squirters. The new Norwegian Epic takes it all up a notch with three multi-story water slides and The Epic Plunge - the only slide of its kind at sea.
Family Friendly Accommodations
Interconnecting staterooms, multi-room Suites and Villas, and everything you need for the entire family to be more than comfortable.
Freestyle Dining for All
Kids love the Kid's Café, with pint-size tables and a buffet serving nothing but the finest kids cuisine. Hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, French fries, cookies, and a selection of fruits and vegetables for good measure.
Need A Norwegian Cruise Quote For Your Family?
We're at your service & here to help!
1 (800) 294-6643
*** Open 7 Days A Week & Late Evenings***